Before I learned this technique, I would cut random sized slices of onion and find myself rocking my knife back and forth for 15 minutes trying to cut my onion pieces down to a perfectly diced pile of onions, only to result in a sloppy mess. This was a painful process that makes me cringe just thinking about it!
My prayers were answered when I learned this method that takes minutes and is so easy anyone can dice an onion with more ease and less pain! I hope you find it as helpful as I did!
* Be very careful when working with sharp knives. Make sure your fingers are far from the blade at all times.
1. Start by cutting off both ends of the onion and peel the outer layer:
2. Slice your onion into thin strips, stopping about 1/2 an inch from the bottom of the onion:
3. Rotate your onion 90 degrees and repeat the same steps above, cutting thin slices stopping 1/2 an inch from the bottom. Make sure to hold your onion firmly so it is easier to cut and holds its shape. Your onion will look like this when you're done:
4. Tilt your onion on its side, holding it firmly so that it keeps its shape, and slice in 1/4 of an inch even increments cutting from the top of the onion to the bottom. Continue until you reach the end of the onion:
When you're done your onion will be perfectly diced as shown below: